Do you like cornbread? Do you like pancakes? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, this recipe is for you.
Fresh Corn Cakes
from Southern Living, July 2008
- 2½ cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 (8 oz) package fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Pulse corn kernels, eggs, milk, and butter in a food processor 3 to 4 times or until corn is coarsely chopped.
Stir together flour, cornmeal, cheese, chives, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; stir in corn mixture until dry ingredients are moistened.
Spoon about ¼ cup batter for each cake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or large nonstick skillet (do not spread or flatten cakes). Cook cakes 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Turn and cook other side 2 to 3 minutes. Makes about 18 corn cakes.
It may interest the enterprising chef to know that these corn cakes reheat well in the oven.